Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It's in the Bag


I came across a new food storage book, It's in the Bag, at Costco a few weeks ago and I met the authors, Michelle and Trent Snow. It was nice visiting with them and talking with someone that loves food storage and has great ideas!

She wrote this book based on a simple concept of putting complete meals together and storing them in individual bags. She says, "My bag meal system is simple. Everything you need to prepare a complete meas is in the bag." That means all the ingredients including the spices and water - except the occasional pantry item such as peanut butter, oil, or vinegar.

Michelle has a blog, Welcome to the Food Storage Revolution. She says that you can store 84 bag meals under a queen size bed! I like this idea because everything you need for the meals is already gathered in one spot with the recipe attached to the bag. Plus it would be easy to mass produce these.

















My first bag meal, Linguine with Clam Sauce, comes from my recipe collection. I displayed all the contents of the bag which are the ingredients for the recipe. Notice the V8 Fusion bottle, it is full of water (I also added a 16 oz water bottle to the bag - so there is enough water to cook the noodles and use for the broth). The two cans of corn were added to make the meal more complete. The recipe is inside the bag, the books suggesting attaching a paper CD cover to the outside of the bag and then place the recipe inside that pocket.

1 comment:

April said...

Yesterday my friend Cami told me she keeps all her dish soap bottles and hand soap bottles and fills them up with water and lables it "soapy" so she doesn't have to use good drinking water to wash things- I thought that was a great idea.